Did you have a sip today?
We all love to sip on our favourite beverage using a straw, be it a smoothie or a soft drink, an energy drink or a cold coffee! Using a straw reduces the exposure to sugary and carbonated drinks in the mouth, preventing acid erosion of the teeth enamel; mainly a necessity for those who had a stroke, multiple sclerosis (MS) or other life changing physical issue.
And yet, it is not an eco-friendly option and not a healthy practice too:
- Colorants, plasticizers, antioxidants and UV filters are added
- Individually wrapped or bulk-packed in plastic containers
- Symbol of our ‘throw away’ culture: used for few seconds, lasting for over 500 years
- Too light weighted to be recycled, entering the drainage and river streams to end in the fish we eat
Bamboo straws are the perfect replacement to plastic straws as they are:
- 100% biodegradable (via composting)
- Reusable (approx.1 month based on a daily frequency)
- Washable with a brush and/or boiled for 5 mins in water
- Antibacterial (sterile)
- A sustainable contribution to reduce plastic pollution
- Is grown without pesticides or chemical fertilisers
- Requires no irrigation (minimal water consumption)
- Grows rapidly and can be harvested sustainably in 3-5 years
- Produces 35% more oxygen than an equivalent stand of trees
- Can grow at a rate of almost 4cm in an hour
The impact of the transport is neutralised via the strategy implemented on orders.
The appearance of the bamboo straws is far from industrial as I have personal partnered with a family factory to remove the chemicals used in the existing manufacturing process. The factory employs women and is based in a Province of Anhui, where the bamboo is grown sustainably. Biostraw4planet™ is a registered trademark.
I am happy to meet different customer’s needs without compromising the positive environmental profile of the initiative. Contact me to discuss multiple scenarios.
With every 100 straws, you will prevent the dumping of 1kg of plastic.
Beyond the environmental benefit, sales from the bamboo straws will contribute to fund a sustainable inclusive project that creates jobs for people with disabilities in an Island of the Indian oceans (one of the 5 plastic patches worldwide).
A Swiss social enterprise against plastic pollution; I am Gabriella Silvestri, a biologist with the passion for the environment. I love swimming and diving.
Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org