- Is grown without pesticides or chemical fertilisers
- Requires no irrigation (minimal water consumption)
- Grows rapidly and can be harvested sustainably in 3-5 years
- Produces 35% more oxygen than an equivalent stand of trees
- Can grow at a rate of almost 4cm in a hr
Bamboo straws are:
- Made without any chemical products (i.e bleaching)
- 100% biodegradable (via composting)
- Reusable (approx 4 month based on a daily frequency)
- Washable with a brush and/or boiled for 5min in water
- A sustainable replacement to plastic strawsto reduce pollution
The CO2 impact is neutral being the artisanal process with a negative footprint.
Sustainable production and consumption often cite the cradle to cradle approach: the natural resources used for consumption are eventually recycled back to be reproduced. However, with most modern materials, the process of recycling or rebirth of raw materials often involves activities that consume energy, produce emissions and impact environment. For example, to recycle plastic, the steps needed are collection, sorting, pre-treatment, melting, reconditioning and manufacturing. All these require energy consumption. To recycle steel would require almost as much energy as had we produced it freshly from excavated ores.
The use of naturally renewable materials such as bamboo, will create consumer products that can simply be thrown back to mother nature and the process of rebirth is taken care by natural ecosystem. In other words, it can be coined as ‘green recycling’ (as opposed to simply recycling). This is aligned with Sustainable Development Goal 12 (SDG): Responsible Production and Consumption.